Sunday, June 13, 2010

Chef SamyoD Update

Life has been busy.  I'm only two weeks into my new job but I have already clocked in 40+ hours both weeks.  Right now I am basically working 9-5 or 6 every day except Sunday's and Wednesdays.  The first two hours I spend cleaning up the restaurant for opening and making sure the big dish washer is hooked up and ready to go and then I pretty much do food prep the whole time unless there is a big holdup and the dish washer needs some help.  It has been good and my body is more use to it now so the days aren't as tiring as they were the first week.

I'm really grateful for this job because I really think it is teaching me a whole new set of skills and I really love learning about another side of work and life that I haven't experienced.

My tasks as a prep cook are always changing but I usually always do something with the fries, whether it be cutting them up or doing a pre fry, something with onions whether it be cutting them for onion rings or whatever, potatoes, baked and red potato wedges, bacon, portioning meat, cleaning chicken breasts, and seriously an assortment of other jobs and tasks.  When I am at work I get really into it and make sure not a moment is wasted.  I usually don't even really stop for breaks because it is just always super busy and there are things that need to be done.  I think its very possible that in the future I'll train a bit to work on "the line" and do more cooking as a chef/cook.  It's been hard work, but most of the time I have a good time.

3 comments:

Lisa and Doug said...

I so wish I could see you in action!

D said...

The description of your working pace wore me out.

margo said...

me too!